My first actual test of lean burn at idle. I try outrageous Air to Fuel Ratios and insane timing. Spoiler: It only kinda works.
I describe how the Shell Opel P-1 got 376Mpg, and how I plan on getting at least 40Mpg on my RX-8. I also go into why rotary engines may be uniquely suited for lean burn.
Errata: The Opel was a 4 cylinder not a V-8.
Information on the Shell Opel P-1: http://www.376mpg.com/
All Images used with permission.
I replace the post-turbo IAT sensor on my Rx-8 The Blue Beast, because I did a poor install on it originally.
I demonstrate real closed loop timing at idle by measuring the Peak Pressure Point (PPP) with Ion Sensing. If I can get this working in boost it should add HP vs a conservative tune, and if I can get this working in cruise it should increase fuel economy.
This is a quick video I did on my front main seal (e-shaft seal) replacement. This is for entertainment value only! Do not try this at home, or in a driveway, or in the rain!
I talk about the Mods currently on my turbo Rx8 as well as what other mods I’m developing and what to expect in the future.
My first attempt to process a combustion chamber ion signal to find perfect ignition timing. Needs a lot of work, but it’s a good proof of concept.
I zap myself with an ignition coil as I try out my new teensy/arduino based piggyback ECU. But it works and it’s the final step before trying ion sensing on the car.
Today I test arduino based PWM fuel pump pressure control. This will
give the Blue Beast the ability to have boost referenced fuel pump pressure control
and on the fly fuel tuning with my cell phone.
Testing my custom piggyback ignition coil control with an oscilloscope. This gives me the ability to advance and retard ignition timing with OBD2 codes sent from my smartphone. I plan on using this later for closed loop ignition timing control with ion sensing.